Wednesday, February 23, 2011








The xs400 as it appeared at Cyclemania last year. I couldn't find any pix of my charging system, which sucks, cause I was running a car alternator (from a Chev Sprint). It was mounted behind the engine, and was driven by a chain which ran from the crankshaft. The crankshaft was exposed by taking the stock charging bits out, and replacing the cover with an aluminum block off plate that held an oil seal. Wiring the alternator in was a simple matter, as was calculating the gearing from the crank to get the proper rpm. Was was hard was getting the mounting for the alternator nice and solid, and keeping everything from coming apart at the seams at high rpm. There were a few sprockets flying off before everything started running smooth! Sucks that the engine blew the moment everything else was running smooth. I'll be watching ebay and Kijiji for a new one, but until then, it's a good excuse to build a new bike. Enter the cb750...

1 comment:

  1. I think i've got a couple shots of your alt set up from the show. send me an email through my profile and i'll send them to you.

    ReplyDelete