Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's been a while since I've posted anything (if I'm not in school, I'm at the garage, studying, or sleeping). With the deadline of April 17, Cyclemania 2009 looming, a few of my bastard brothers convinced me to make a change of plans. The problem was that the CBR600RR motor is not an easy fit into any kind of rigid frame, and is not exactly a great first frame build. Complicated rad plumbing, fuel injection with secondary injectors, an incredibly deep wet sump, and complex wiring all make for a loooong build time (at least if I'm gonna make it look cool). I do, however, have a great little Yamaha 400cc bike that I picked up from insurance salvage last year for cheap. Kickstart, 2 cylinder, low kms, 6 speed tranny, and carburetted (thank god!). As a bonus, under 475cc bikes don't require an inspection here in SK. It won't be as fast as the CBR, but it'll be a hella fun ride regardless. I won't really have the time to do much in the way of polishing and painting, but then again, do I really want to?

Progress so far:
-I've tack welded the (stretched & raked drop seat!) frame, finished motor mounts, and am finishing up some bracing.
-Gas tank has been drastically narrowed/reshaped, twin filler caps added, 60% complete (my first experience with mig and sheet metal!). Thank god for tank sealant!
-Twisty-assed exhaust system 90% fabbed. It'll get exhaust wrap, so no worries on weld appearance.
-motor has been speed-holed!
-risers complete.

To go:
-finish welding frame, tank, exhaust.
-fabricate foot controls (rear brake, clutch) and jockey shift.
-figure out rear fender, fab kick ass sissy bar.
-weld in bracket for seat suspension.
-fab Z bars.
-wiring and lights (as simply as possible).
-turn rear axle w/spacers on lathe.
-speed holes!!!

the pic button on the blog controls isn't working, so you'll have to wait for the visuals!

No comments:

Post a Comment